Joe Monti

Saturday, September 01, 2007

New Lenovo Thinkpad T61

My Lenovo Thinkpad T61 arrived this week after more than a 5 week wait. I ordered it from the Lenovo website on July 19th. I arrived at my door on Aug 28th. The wait sucked, but so far I love the laptop. Here are the specs:
  • Thinkpad T61
  • Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 2.0 GHz
  • 2GB RAM
  • 100GB 7200rpm hard drive
  • 15.4" WSXGA+ display (1680x1050)
  • NVIDIA Quadro NVS 140M (128MB)
  • Integrated Bluetooth
I of course installed Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Faun). There were only a few hickups in the install and setup. First, feisty doesn't have a compatible nvidia driver, which caused the standard live CD to not boot, so I had to use the alternate install CD and install from text mode. Second, I screwed up the partitioning, thinking I was allocating the Ubuntu partition when I was allocating the Vista partition, and it took me a while to realize this so I had to go back with a gparted live cd and re-partition again. Third, and last problem was I had to restore Vista to factory defaults from ThinkVantage because apparently the partitioning screwed it up. I've now got Ubuntu and Vista dual booting perfectly. There were no other issue with drivers or anything. Everything on the laptop is working perfectly. I just have to watch out when I upgrade the kernel and rebuild the nvidia drivers.

What I like most about the laptop is the screen size and resolution. The display is crisp and there is enough room to be productive. And of course, its very fast.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home