Joe Monti

Saturday, September 01, 2007

Bluetooth Dialup over Treo 700p on Verizon

After a few days of tinkering I finally got bluetooth dialup over my Treo 700p on Verizon setup. What this means is I can use my phone to connect my laptop to the internet, which is actually how I am making this post. This was the one thing I knew wasn't going to be easy or even possible, but really wanted, and now it works. YES!

I was able to set this up with the Ubuntu BluetoothDialup documentation and USBModem software on the Treo. I'm pretty sure everything I did was from those docus. If you are trying to do this and have any questions that aren't described on those docs, post a comment.

Here are a few tips:
  • Install bluez-gnome and run System -> Preferences -> Bluetooth Preferences to get a fancy Bluetooth symbol in your notification area
  • You do need the USBModem software, which costs $24.95, because the built-in dial-up-networking (DUN) does not work. I tried it without it, but it wouldn't connect. Once I installed it, it worked.
  • I did disable the built-in DUN when USBModem asked me to (required soft restart)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home