Joe Monti

Thursday, October 04, 2007

Guitar Rebuild part 2

So far I've gotten through the sanding and wood prep phase and just about to start eh painting phase. Here is a list of steps I have completed:
  1. Disassemble down to the bare wood body. Here I removed the neck, bridge, and pickguard with pickups and electronics assembly. I wish I had taken a picture of this part, but I didn't, so sorry.
  2. Sand off existing finish down to bare wood with palm sander and by hand where needed. This step I used a combination of 80 and 120 grit sandpaper.
  3. I was then left with a trouble spot on the top of the body near the neck where the heat caused some minor damaged. It seemed as if the veneer had pulled away from the body creating a pocket, or a bubble, about the size of a penny. To fix this I cut a small slit and tried to get thinned out wood glue to fill the gap and clamped it down. This seemed to work well and I just had to use some wood filler to fix a few bad spots.
  4. I then block sanded and hand sanded the body with 120, then 220, grit sandpaper to smooth out the harshness from the palm sanding and get the contours smooth.
  5. Next I used an Elmers solvent-based wood filler to fill the trouble spot I mentioned and some dings, divits, and low spots.
  6. After the wood filler dried I sanded the filled areas with 120 grit sandpaper.
  7. The final sanding was with a 400 grit sandpaper.
  8. After sanding and before painting I applied a sanding sealer to fill the grain and smaller imperfections and, duh, seal the wood. I have applied one coat, sanded, and applied a final coat and am letting that dry until I work on it again.
That is it for now. Next steps are to sand the final sanding sealer coat and start the actual painting process. I'll try and post the details of the exact products I used for the wood filler and sanding sealer.

Here is a picture of the latest state of the guitar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]



<< Home